Hypothyroidism is the term referred to inactivity or deficiency of thyroid hormone due to various reasons. This disease is increasing very rapidly as lifestyle of modern generation is exposed to more stress, strain and anxiety. Proper synthesis of thyroid hormone is very essential for normal function of thyroid gland. Imbalance of TSH is first and primary indicator of hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism refers to any stage in which there is deficiency of releasing thyroid hormone that is required for normal body functioning. Billions of people throughout the world are suffering with iodine deficiencies and people with iodine deficiencies are more prone to hypothyroidism. White and Asian population are more affected with hypothyroidism and various other thyroid disorders.
Thyroid gland is a very essential gland and has important role to regulate metabolic processes throughout the body and many other hormones are regulated with help of this gland.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Deficiency of thyroid hormone gives rise to various other problems and major symptoms of hypothyroidism include:
- chronic constipation
- changes in menstrual cycle
- dryness of scalp, dry hair and hair loss
- dryness of skin
- voice hoarseness
- loss of appetite
- minimal or absent sweating
- excessive fatigue
- sensitivity towards cold
- decreased heart rate
- swelling of neck and thyroid gland
- weight gain and difficulty in losing weight
- carpel tunnel syndrome
Babies that are born with hypothyroidism have no such symptoms but in case if symptoms do occur it may include- cold hands and feet, constipation, excessive sleepiness, slow growth, low muscle tone, poor feeding habits, puffiness of face, swelling in tongue, bloating of stomach, indigestion and yellowish colouration of skin.
According to Ayurveda involvement of all the srotas is responsible in hypothyroidism. Kapha and Vata dosha vriddhi is elicited/(aggravated) in this disease while Pitta dosha kshaya(decrease) is also noticed. This disease is categorised under “Galagand roga”. It can be taken under the functional disorders of endocrine gland. Thyroid gland is an endocrine gland and actual position of this gland is in lower parts and front of the neck. Swelling in this region of neck that leads to insufficient secretion of thyroid hormone is called galaganda roga. This enlargement of thyroid gland is caused by provocated kapha dosha and in Ayurveda it is called kapha nanatmaja vikara.
Involvement of tridosha in Hypothyroidism
Dryness of skin, hair loss, constipation, stiffness and body aches in hypothyroidism are caused due to vata dosha vriddhi in body (aggravation of vata dosha). Weight gain, puffiness in body and hoarseness of voice in hypothyroidism is due to imbalance of kapha dosha (kapha dosha dushti). Weight gain, yellowish colour of skin and chronic constipation is caused due to imbalance of pitta dosha.
In short we can say that dysfunction of kapha, vata and pitta dosha, imbalance of rasa and medha dhatu, sweda and mala are the major factors according to Ayurveda that cause Hypothyroidism.
Causes of hypothyroidism
Most common cause of hypothyroidism is inflammation of thyroid gland and other factors that cause this disease may include
- radiation treatment of neck area
- use of certain medication for long time
- radioactive iodine treatment
- surgery of thyroid gland
- deficiency of iodine in diet
- problems of thyroid gland at the birth time
- disorders of pituitary gland
Allaying of Hypothyroidism through Ayurveda
Capsule Metostab, Yamuna Arogyavardhini Vati, Yamuna Chandraprabha Vati, Lipolyt capsules, Sery capsules, Tressol Hair Oil and K.R. Powder are various ayurveda remdies available at Yamuna pharmacy to allay hypothyroidism through Ayurveda. All these remedies for allaying hypothyroidism through Ayurveda are formulated by using natural extract of pure and safe herbs of Ayurveda. Regular use of these remedies helps to combat all the symptoms of hypothyroidism and give long term relief without any harmful side effects.
All the products of our pharmacy are made by using natural herbs. No side effects are experienced due to permitted chemicals, colours, binders, fillers and additives added to our products. All the products of our pharmacy are prepared under the strict supervision of expert Ayurveda doctors. All the products are safe to use for every age group.
- Capsule Metostab– kanchnaar, haritaki, vibhtaki, amalaki, varun, guggul, brahmi, gokshur, shigru patra, kanchnar ghan, hartaki ghan, vibhtaki ghan, amalaki ghan, brahmi ghan, gokshur ghan, varun ghan, shigru patra ghan, shilajit, tamra bhasma, shuska kaseeska, shud dha gandhaka and khatika are the herbs and minerals used to prepare this beneficial remedy for allaying hypothyroidism. Herbs used in this herbal formulation for allaying hypothyroidism help to fight stubborn fat and extra weight gained by imbalance of hormones in body. Herbs help to lit up digestive fires (agnis) and help to heal various digestion related problems.
Dosage– two capsules twice daily after meals for 50-90 days.
- Yamuna Arogyavardhini Vati– Rasa (mercury), Loha bhasma, Abhrak bhasma, Haritaki, Vibhitaki, Amalki, Shilajatu, Shudh guggul, Eranda, Katuka and Nimb are the various herbs used to prepare this Ayurveda remedy for allaying hypothyroidism. Regular use of this remedy helps to stimulate our digestive fire and combat against various digestive troubles caused by imbalance of hormones in body. Regular intake of this remedy helps to cure chronic constipation that is one major symptom of hypothyroidism. Herbs used in this remedy help to stimulate our immune system and subside serious inflammation of various organs of body.
Dosage– One to two tablets twice or thrice daily after meals with normal water.
- Yamuna Chandraprabha Vati– Chandra prabha, Vacha, Musta, Bhunimba, Amrita, Devdaaru, Haridra, Ativisha, Daru haridra, Pippali mula, Chitraka, Dhaanyaka, Haritaki, Vibhitak, Amalaki, Chavya, Vidanga, Gaja Pippali, Svarna makshika bhasma, Yava kshara, Sarji kshara, Saindha lavana, Sauvarcala lavana, Vida lavana, Trivritta, Danti, Tej patra, Tvak, Ela, Vamsalochana, Lauh bhasma, Sarkara, Silajatu and Guggulu are the herbs used to prepare this Ayurveda remedy for allaying hypothyroidism. Various herbs used in this herbal remedy help to correct various mental and physical disorders caused by imbalance of hormones in body. Regular use of this remedy helps to overcome excessive inflammation of thyroid gland. All these herbs are also very beneficial for protecting our bones from the risk of osteoporosis caused by hypothyroidism.
Dosage– 2 tablets twice daily after meals for 50 to 90 days.
- Lipolyt capsules– Nagarmotha, Bidanga, Chitrak, Pippali, Maricha, Vishvabheshaj, Amalaki, Haritaki, Vibhataki, Elua, Rason, Karchoor, Shallaki, and Shudh guggul are the effective herbs of Ayurveda used to prepare this herbal remedy for reducing the weight gain due to hypothyroidism. Herbs used in this remedy help to stimulate digestive fire and improve the natural metabolic activities of body. All these herbs are anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory in nature. Triphala used in this remedy is very effective solution for chronic constipation
Dosage – two capsules twice daily for 50-90 days after meals.
- Sery capsules – Brahmi, Tagar, Jatamansi, Ashwagandha, Ext Brahmi, Ext Tagar, Ext. Jatamansi and Ext. Ashwagandha are the herbs used in the formulation of this herbal remedy for allaying hypothyroidism. Regular use of this remedy help to boost our immune system and it fight against various inflammations inside our body. It helps to fight against free radicals and toxins that are responsible for the disturbed mental faculties due to malfunctioning of thyroid gland.
Dosage – two capsules twice daily for 50-90 days after meals with normal water.
- Tressol Hair Oil– Pure extracts obtained from Bhringraj, Rakta chandan, Haritaki, Vibhitak, Amalki, Lodhra, Neem, Brahmi, Shikakai, Mehndi patra and Chameli patra are used to prepare this Ayurveda remedy for allaying hypothyroidism. Regular use of this herbal oil helps to treat various hair problems like hair loss, dry hair and dryness of scalp caused by hypothyroidism. Herbs used in this remedy help to promote hair growth and nourish scalp hair roots by stimulating the blood supply.
Mode of use – take 2.5 to 5 ml Tressol Hair oil on your palm and apply thoroughly on hair root every day.
- K.R. Powder– Amla, Shikakai, Peet beej, Arishtak and Sugandh kokila are used to prepare this ayurvedic remedy for allaying hair problems caused by hypothyroidism. Proper application of this herbal remedy on hair helps to promote hair growth and it makes hair more healthy and shiny. It helps to stop breakage and falling of hair and hair splitting.
How to use this powder – soak 3 to 6 teaspoons of K.R powder in a cupful of water at night. Apply the paste on scalp and hair roots for 45 minutes before bath in the morning and wash your hair properly with closed eyes. Wipe your hair with dry towel and apply tress oil gently over your hair.