The term frigidity is used for a long-term lack of sexual drive and response. Even though this problem can affect both males and females but it is commonly found in females.
Sexual drive in women tends to fluctuate through the course of life. This is somewhat natural as sexual drive in women is influenced by both physical and emotional changes that include certain factors such as pregnancy, menopause, stress etc.
While low libido or the lack of sexual desire may not be life threatening but it can certainly threaten the relationship.
What are the factors for frigidity?
The factors may be psychological, pathological or physiological.
- Psychological factors include guilt about sexual involvement, fear, anxiety, depression, past sexual abuse etc.
- Physiological factors such as disturbance in the menstrual cycle, lactation, pregnancy, postnatal period, intake of birth control pills etc.
Ayurvedic Concept of Frigidity:
In Ayurveda, frigidity is known as ‘Kaam Shauthalya.’ The female also suffers from mental stress and depression due to frigidity.
There is a branch of Ayurveda known as Vajikaran which deals with the treatment of sexual disorders. It offers solution to minimize the shukra (sperm and ovum) defects and to ensure a healthy progeny.
What is the treatment of frigidity?
The modern treatment of frigidity in females includes hormonal therapy which has own set of risks.
Ayurveda recommends the use of Rasayana drugs for the treatment of frigidity as these drugs modulates the neuro-endocrino-immune system. Vajikaran Rasayan is the special category of Rasayan that are targeted to improve the functioning of reproductive system and enhance sexual function. These act on the higher centre of the brain. Rasayanas also have anti-stress and adaptogenic actions.
But, the Rasayana drugs cannot be prescribed until the individual’s body has been purified. If the body has accumulation of ama dosha (toxins), the rasayanas will not work as intended.
The vajikaran dravyas (concotions) are not limited to the use of herbs alone. These include gold, silver and precious stones to arouse sexual desire, cow milk, gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) etc. to give strength to the reproductive organs and to balance the hormones, the use of herbs such as ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) etc. to improve fertility and to reduce stress and anxiety.
Some herbs useful for frigidity in females are:
There are many herbs and medicines available in Ayurveda that act as a natural aphrodisiac and increase sex drive.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is considered as the best herb for frigidity. It has been considered as one of the most important herbs and the best adaptogenic. Ashwagandha is an excellent rejuvenator, a general health tonic and a cure for a number of health complaints. It has been described as Balya, Vrishya and Rasayana in Ayurvedic texts.
- It is a good anti-stressor, nervine as well as sexual tonic.
- Ashwagandha is known to increase blood flow to the clitoris and other organs.
- Ashwagandha Ghrit is an Ayurvedic preparation which is prescribed in the treatment of frigidity.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus): Shatavari has been used since long in the treatment of sexual problems. This herb is considered as the ‘best friend’ of females.
- It helps in balancing the female hormones and improves stamina and energy levels during sexual intercourse.
- Shatavari is also useful in controlling stress levels.
- Besides increasing energy levels, it also helps to regulate the levels of female hormones.
- The herb is believed to possess anti-inflammatory effect on the sexual organs and promotes healthy ovulation and folliculogenesis.
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanica): Cinnamon is a wonderful spice having medicinal qualities.
- It is a very potent herb that can treat the problem of frigidity.
- Cinnamon helps in improving blood circulation in the pelvic region and useful in various sexual dysfunctions.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris): Gokshura herb is known to stimulate androgen receptors in the brain making the female’s body much responsive to testosterone and other sex hormones.
Some Home Remedies for frigidity in women are:
- Almonds: Almonds are very effective in increasing sex drive.
How to use: Soak the almonds in water overnight, peel the skin the next morning and take them with milk. You can also prepare almond milk. Take 10 almonds, 1 cup warm milk, a pinch of saffron and a pinch of nutmeg. Add almonds and other ingredients in warm milk and blend them in a blender.
- Herbal Drink: To prepare herbal drink, take 1part shatavari powder, 1part vidari, 1/8th part nutmeg, ½ part tagar and warm milk. Add 1 teaspoon of this mixture to a cup of warm milk. For effective results, drink this herbal milk twice a day.
- Dates: Dates are a highly-strengthening fruit and poses an ability to restore sexual drive. It increases endurance and improves overall vitality.
- Eating dates regularly every morning is useful in combating sexual debility, chronic fatigue.
How to use: Take 4-5 fresh dates, 1 teaspoon of cow ghee, ½ teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom and a pinch of saffron. Soak the dates in a jar of ghee and add rest of the ingredients. Take this mixture regularly.
- Drumsticks: A soup prepared from drumstick flowers boiled in milk is very useful in frigidity in females. It is also useful in functional sterility in both males and females.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Include spices such as fennel, parsley, anise in the diet. These spices are known to boost sex drive in females.
- Intake of fresh fruits, almonds, raisins, figs and prunes in the diet.
- Herbs such as nutmeg, cinnamon and fenugreek are warming herbs that increase blood flow in the pelvic regions.
- Mixing dates with milk and cinnamon is a traditional aphrodisiac mixture.
- If female is suffering with mental stress or anxiety, that issue must be addressed.
- Packaged foods, coffee, tea, alcohol should be avoided.
- Get adequate sleep to stay fresh and energized.
- Bathing with relaxing essential oils is also useful.
- Keep a check on stress levels and include Meditation and Yoga in daily routine.
- Body massage with sesame oil helps to revive vigour and stimulates the nerves as well.
Thus, frigidity in women can be overcome by the use of herbs, herbal remedies and changes in diet and lifestyle.