Epilepsy is a neurological condition which affects approximately 1-2% of the world’s population. In India, more than 10 million people suffer from this disease. Epilepsy is characterized by brief episodes of seizures and excessive EEG discharge which is associated with loss of consciousness with body movements (convulsions).
In spite of many synthetic drugs used in the treatment of epilepsy, there is still a need for an ideal anti-convulsant medicine with properties such as good bio-availability, no side-effects, rapid onset of action and cost effectiveness as well.
There are many herbs and herbal formulations mentioned in Ayurveda that have been found to be very effective and offer a great hope for the satisfactory treatment of epilepsy.
Epilepsy according to Ayurveda:
In Ayurvedic texts, Akshepa is classified under Vatananatmaja Vyadhi. It has been found as a symptom in different diseases such as Apsmara, Apatantraka, Apatanaka but it is mainly observed in Apsmara.
The Ayurvedic treatise has described the causes, symptoms and treatment of epilepsy in detail.
Aggravated doshas get accumulated in the brain and produce the symptoms based upon the doshic predominance which results in illusion of the mind and visual hallucination and seizures.
What are the causative factors of Epilepsy?
- Long term grief or anger
- Sub-conscious fear
- Sub-conscious hatredness
- Debilitated mind
- Consumption of unwholesome food and habits over a longer period
What are the symptoms of Epilepsy?
The premonitory symptoms include:
- Contracted eyebrows
- Auditory hallucination
- Salivation and nasal discharge
- Gurgling in the abdomen
- Dreams of dancing, stabbing, falling etc.
Important Symptoms of Epilepsy are:
- Convulsions with teeth biting
- Dribbling of frothy saliva
- Expiratory dyspnea
- Involuntary speech or murmuring
- Constriction of the fingers
- Red or black discolouration of the body
- Unstable movement of the limbs
What is the Ayurvedic treatment of Epilepsy?
People often take medicines for few weeks to few months and suddenly withdraw on their own but it is a condition which needs long term medication. This leads to sudden manifestation of attacks and hence the patient has to restart the medication.
It is an illness which requires the constant supervision by the physicians. It is also mandatory to take medicines as advised by the physicians
Yamuna Pharmacy provides 100% natural formulations for the successful management of epilepsy. These Ayurvedic formulations work on the root cause which is the imbalanced doshas.
The herbal formulations by Yamuna Pharmacy are helpful in improving the co-ordination of left versus right brain and balance Dhi, Dhriti and Smriti as well.
Herbal Formulations by Yamuna Pharmacy for the treatment of Epilepsy are:
- Capsule Sery
- Sery Oil
- Capsule Gulvelex
- Capsule Sery: Sery Capsules by Yamuna Pharmacy is a unique herbal formulation that is mainly useful in the treatment of nervous disorders such as epilepsy.
- The ingredients of Sery Capsules are: Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Jatamanasi (Nardostachys jatamansi) and Tagar (Valeriana wallichii).
- In Ayurveda, ashwagandha is considered useful in neurological conditions, brahmi provides nourishment to the brain and improves intelligence and memory, jatamanasi is known for improving brain functions and intelligence and tagar is useful in psychiatric disorders and epilepsy.
- These ingredients are considered as brain tonic and work in a synergistic manner for epilepsy and insanity.
- These work by increasing one’s energy, vitality and strength and provides physical nourishment as well.
Dose: Take 1-2 capsules twice a day after meals or as directed by the physician.
- Sery Oil: Yamuna Pharmacy’s Sery Oil is a proprietary Ayurvedic preparation which is useful in the treatment of epilepsy. It is meant for external application only. The ingredients of Sery Oil are: Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Til Tel (Sesamum indicum) and Ksheerbala Tel (Classical Ayurvedic Medicine).
How to use: Apply 2-5 ml on the forehead and scalp and massage till absorption.
- Capsule Gulvelex: Capsule Gulvelex by Yamuna Pharmacy is prepared by using the extract of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia). Guduchi or Giloy normalizes the physiological activity of the muscles and nerves and therefore useful in the treatment of epilepsy.
Dosage: Take 1-2 capsules twice or thrice a day after meals or as directed by your physician.
- Include green gram soup, drum stick, cow milk and ghee, amalki (gooseberry), grapes, figs in the diet.
- Avoid taking heavy food, alcohol, non-vegetarian food, suppression of thirst and appetite, excessive physical and mental work, unethical activities, insult of teachers and elders.
These herbal formulations by Yamuna Pharmacy along with changes in diet are quite beneficial in the treatment of epilepsy. These medications possess anti-oxidant property. Anti-oxidant potential of these herbs is helpful in the prevention of oxidative damage. These also play an important role in the brain’s cellular defense against oxidative damage and is able to lower the risk of some neurological disorders.